Changing of the Guard
The guard duty in Peter and Paul Fortress has existed since the first months of its foundation. It was only in October of 1926, when the commandant's supervision of the fortress was abolished. Initially the ceremony was performed by the soldiers and officers from the regiments, dislocated in St Petersburg, then by the soldiers from the permanent city garrison and by the guard regiments since 1720s.
The modern ceremony of the guard mounting, developed by the military headquarters of St Petersburg, is a tribute to the tradition. The focal points of this performance are parade and trooping of the flags of the Russian Federation and St Petersburg. The guard is mounted on the territory of Naryshkin Bastion after the traditional 12 o'clock cannon shot every Saturday during the summer season.