History of St Petersburg – Petrograd. 1703 – 1918
Permanent display in the Commandant's House of Peter and Paul Fortress consists of two sections. The first section explores the ancient history of the Neva banks and the history of St Petersburg of the early eighteenth – early nineteenth century. On display are archaeological finds, maps and layouts, paintings, pieces of graphic and applied art, created under Peter the Great and during the reign of his heirs.
The second section of the exhibition provides insight into daily life of St. Petersburg in the nineteenth – early twentieth centuries. Every exhibition room is devoted to a special subject: commerce and banking business, life in a rental apartment house and transport, city fashion and multinational cuisine, Art Nouveau Style designer's products, amenities and cinema. What food did residents of St. Petersburg eat, what clothes did they wear, how did they spend money and what did they buy – these are some of the questions which can be answered during the visit to the Commandant's House.